The first eve of Friday (Thursday night) in the month of Rajab is known as Laylatu Raghaa-ib. (Raghaa-ib: beautiful gifts or valuables). This night of beautiful gifts or valuables is one of the blessed nights in Rajab.
Our beloved Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.w. has recommended a unique prayer for this night indicating great excellence.
The benefits of the prayer are:
- Sins of the person are forgiven
- Safety from troubles on the first night in the grave
- Shade on the day of resurrection
On the first night in the grave of the dead person who performed the prayers of Laylatu Raghaai-ib, Allah sends the reward of this prayer in the form of
a most virtuous, smiling manifestation with a sweet voice to the grave, which will address the dead person with the following words:
"O friend! I have brought you good tidings that you have been liberated from all difficulties."
The dead person will ask: "Who are you? Never before have I seen so beautiful a person, nor heard so sweet a voice or smelt such fragrance like you!"
The reply will be," O friend! I am the reward of the prayers you had performed on such a night, in such location, on such a night of such a month and year. I have come to you to fulfill your dues, keep you company in your loneliness, relieve you your fear. When the trumpet will be blown, I will provide a shade for you over your head on the day of Judgement. So, be full of joy. No goodness will be denied to you."
Do not miss this opportunity of preparing a companion for your stay in the grave when one is all left all alone. Let us endeavor to perform this A'maal of Laylatu Raghaa-ib.
Method for performing the A'maal of Laylatu Raghaa-ib:
- Fast on the first Thursday of month of Rajab.
- On Thursday night (the eve of Friday) between Maghrib and Isha salat recite 12 rakats salat in six units of 2 rakat each. In every rakat after reciting Suratul Fatiha once recite Suratul Qadr 3 times and Suratul Ikhlas 12 times.
- On completion, recite 70 times : "Allahumma Salli `ala Muhammadin ,nnabiyyil ummiyyi, wa `ala aalihi" (O Allah send blessings on Muhammad, the Ummi Prophet, and on his descendants).
- Then go into sajda and recite 70 times: "Subbuhun Quddusun, Rabbul Malaa`ikati Warruh" (Holy and Most Holy is the Lord of the Angels and souls).
- Raise your head from sajda and recite 70 times: "Rabbighfir, war-ham, watajaawaz `Amma Ta'alamu, Innaka antal `aliyyul a`a-dham" (O Lord! Forgive, have mercy and be indulgent about that which You know , verily You are Sublime, Mighty).
- Then go into sajda and recite 70 times: "Subbuhun Quddusun, RabbulMalaa`ikati Warruh" ( Holy and Most Holy is the Lord of the Angels and souls).
- Then seek your needs, they will be granted, Insha Allah.
Reference Mafatihul Jinan, pg 139 (Arabic)
Fazle Abbas Datoo
Wessex Shia Ithna Asheri Jamaat